Date(s) - 10/27/2019
2:30 pm - 3:30 pm
UUCJ - New Building
Belonging always comes with blindsides. When we receive a generous welcome it’s hard for us to imagine and notice the ways in which that open door doesn’t work the same for everyone. Our faith is slowly waking up to the fact that we haven’t been and aren’t the “welcoming congregations” we aspire to be. This is especially true when it comes to race and systems of white supremacy. The gap between our intentions and impact remains painfully large. The work is urgent and large.
Below are a number of resources and discussions that speak to the work our faith is doing around de-centering whiteness. As we know, the work needs to be systemic, but in the midst of systemic work there is also personal work to be done. Identifying “your work” is as important as participating in “our work.” So during this month where we are all trying to “be belonging” for others, not just find belonging for ourselves, use the resources below to better identify and deepen “your work.” Come to your group ready to share what surprised you about your exploration and what commitments it led you to make.
- “In this Delicate Turning” Sunday Morning Worship, GA 2019: https://www.uua.org/ga/off-site/2019/worship/sunday (Music from centering begins at 1:04:44 and sermon begins at 1:09:43, but we encourage you to watch the entire service)
- “Othering and Belonging” by Rev. Darrick Jackson – found in the UUA published book, Centering – Navigating Race, Authenticity, and Power in Ministry
- “The black hole in the white UU psyche” – UU World article by Rev. Mark Morrison-Reed: https://www.uuworld.org/articles/black-hole-white-uu-psyche
- What it means to be white – Robin DiAngelo – The VUU #144 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzeebSMZYxI
- Dialogue about the White Supremacy Teach-In (The VUU) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC0lsIuHbsc
- Our Anti-Racism Work: Creating Accountability in our UU world (The VUU) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM_tCPZMnc8
- Keep Talking, Start Doing: Ten Ways to Deepen your Congregation’s Multiculturalism Journey: https://www.uua.org/multiculturalism/introduction/deepen-your-journey
- Congregational Stories and Best Practices: https://www.uua.org/justice-programs/stories
- Ta-Nehisi Coates on Reparations
This morning we will explore our place in that large work.