Whoever you are, whatever your life experiences, wherever you are on your spiritual and personal path, know that you are welcome at UUCJ! We are a liberal religious community that is united not by one belief but by our commitment to one another. We are inspired by Unitarian minister Francis Francis Dávid who said, “We do not need to think alike to love alike!”
Welcoming Community Ministry Team Chair: Eric Woods
At UUCJ we have established and regularly reaffirm our Behavioral Covenant with one another.
Throughout the year there are many opportunities to form meaningful and lasting relationships with a diverse community. Check out our Church Calendar to see upcoming events!
UUCJ is a Welcoming Congregation!
We know that religious spaces haven’t always been welcoming places for all people, especially when it comes to gender and sexuality. The spiritual practice of welcome is a very important one to our faith community. We work hard to make sure all people, including lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people, are welcomed as full members of our faith communities. We strive to create a space that honors every part of our identities, backgrounds, and experiences. We practice welcome in our congregations by:
- Promoting inclusivity and using inclusive language
- Creating welcoming spaces, including gender neutral bathrooms
- Saying our welcome out loud and in print and online
- Building our welcoming skills as congregational leaders and greeters
- Deepening our understanding of identities that differ from our own
- Offering sexuality education for the entire lifespan
- Preventing discrimination in the process of hiring a minister
- Engaging in justice ministry in our communities and the wider world
- Regularly engaging in Welcoming Congregation programming and ministry
Join us for Food and Fun!
This is Mississippi, and we love to share food and conversation! Every Sunday at 10:30 a.m., we have a Coffee Fellowship where we share a cup of coffee, a snack, and conversation! Sign up for Hospitality to bring a snack to share or to help make coffee and serve.
If a larger meal is more your speed, join us for a meal after service:
- On the 3rd Sunday of every month (or on some special Sundays), we hold a congregational Potluck Luncheon. Sign up at Perfect Potluck to see what tasty dishes are on the menu and record what you’ll bring.
- On other Sundays, we gather at a local restaurant with the Lunch Bunch. Check out the Church Calendar to see where we’re heading!
Everyone is welcome to participate!
Contact the Welcoming Community Ministry Team!
Do you have ideas for the Welcoming Community Ministry Team to promote connection and community? Would you like to get involved? Please contact the Welcoming Community Ministry Team to find out how you can contribute!