Adult RE for Summer and Fall 2016
All classes are free (except where noted) and open to members, friends, and guests.
Spirit of Life: Sunday mornings 9:30-10:30 am, at the UUCJ Sanctuary Building. This 9-session introductory course is designed to offer participants space, time, and community to explore their Unitarian Universalist spirituality. Each focuses on a different aspect of the spiritual life, framed by the lyrics of Carolyn McDade’s song “Spirit of Life.” Like the song, the sessions are designed to be welcoming to Unitarian Universalists of many spiritual and theological persuasions. Participants are invited to claim an inclusive definition of spirituality and recognize the spiritual aspects of their lives.
- 6/12 – Spirit of Life: Exploring Spirituality for Unitarian Universalists
- 6/26- Sing In My Heart: Celebrations And Rituals
- 7/10- The Stirrings Of Compassion: Caring For One Another
- 7/24 – Blow In The Wind, Rise In The Sea: Nature And Spirit
- 8/7 – Move in the Hand: Living Our Spirituality in Our Day-to-day Lives
- 8/21 – Giving Life The Shape Of Justice: Loving Your Neighbor And Yourself
- 9/4 – Roots Hold Me Close: Tradition, Teachers, and Spiritual Formation
- 9/18 – Wings Set Me Free: Hopes, Dreams, and Expanding Vision
- 9/25 – Come to Us: Closing and Continuing On
UU 101: The New UU: Sunday afternoons 12:30-2:00 pm, at the UUCJ Sanctuary Building. This 2-session introductory course is designed for newcomers who want to learn more about Unitarian Universalism. It offers participants the opportunity to learn from UUs about their beliefs as well as a chance to examine their own personal stories. NOTE: This course fulfills the Stepping Stones requirements for membership.
- 8/28 – Theology and Worship, Unitarian Universalist Roots, & Philosophy of Religious Education
- 9/4 – Social Justice Philosophy and Practice, Governance and Polity, & Membership
Reproductive Rights: Sunday mornings 9:30-10:30 am, at the UUCJ Sanctuary Building. In 2015 the UUA issued a new Statement of Conscience on reproductive justice. This 6-session course outlines the distinctions between reproductive “health,” “rights,” and “justice”; opens awareness of reproductive oppression; offers opportunities to learn about ourselves and each other as sexual and reproductive beings; and equips us to move forward, out into the world, with integrity and vision.
- 10/2 – Introduction: What is Reproductive Justice?
- 10/9 – Sacred Sexuality
- 10/16 – Inherent Worth and Dignity
- 10/23 – Reverence for Life
- 10/30 – Right of Conscience
- 11/6 – Conclusion: Moving Forward